Purchasing new blasting equipment is generally the most convenient and straightforward acquisition method, especially when the project’s budget is flexible and the equipment will be used on a daily or weekly basis. Companies often choose this route when one or more of the following factors is a priority:
Surface preparation refers to the modification of the surface characteristics of a material to improve its workability for downstream processing or enhance its performance in a given application. The process is often performed with blast machines—also known as blast finishing equipment or blasters—which utilize compressed air, water, or centrifugal wheels to forcibly propel abrasive materials onto the surface of a workpiece. The resulting surface can be smoother or more textured depending on the requirements of the intended application.
Before the start of any surface preparation operation, it is important to choose the equipment—i.e., buying new, buying used, or renting—that is most beneficial for your business. Some of the factors that may influence this decision include your budget, anticipated frequency of equipment usage, and types of projects for which the equipment will be used. Understanding all of these factors is key to ensuring you have the equipment for your current needs and the flexibility to grow to suit your future needs. The following guide provides an overview of new blasting equipment, used blasting equipment, and rented blasting equipment to help you determine which option is best suited for your company.
New Blasting Equipment
- Latest technology: New blasting equipment often has new features not present in older models. As a result, it may offer greater functionality and/or performance, both of which can benefit your blasting operations.
- Ready-to-go equipment: By purchasing equipment, you ensure you will have it if and when you need it in the future. You do not need to wait for a rental unit to be delivered, which can save you precious time if a project is time-sensitive. Additionally, unlike used equipment, you do not need to worry about whether all of the components are in proper working order.
- Full control over equipment: Purchasing new blasting equipment gives you full control over the product, from how frequently it is used to how thoroughly it is maintained.
While buying new equipment requires a high upfront investment, the long-term cost benefits of owning the equipment can make it significantly more affordable than renting in the long run. For example:
Used Blasting Equipment
Despite the negative connotations often associated with the term “used”, used blasting equipment plays an important role in helping companies achieve a balance between cost and quality. Used equipment is generally recommended for companies that desire one or more of the following:
- Readily available equipment: Similar to purchasing new equipment, purchasing used equipment ensures you have the machines you need when you need them. You can easily jump into new projects without stressing about starting or extending rental contracts.
- Low equipment purchase price: Used blasting equipment is a great option if you lack the financial resources to make a new equipment purchase. It allows you to meet your surface preparation needs while keeping costs low.
In addition to lower initial investment costs, there are many other benefits to choosing used equipment over new equipment. For example:
Rented Blasting Equipment
Renting allows companies to acquire the blasting equipment they need to complete their surface preparation jobs without having to take on the large financial burden associated with full ownership. This route is generally recommended for companies that want the following:
- Financial flexibility: Purchasing new or used blasting equipment requires a considerably large upfront investment. Rental equipment is typically available at a much lower cost, allowing you to reallocate the saved funds to other aspects of your business.
- Little to no ownership costs: The maintenance expenses, operational costs, licensing fees, and other long-term costs associated with equipment ownership can make renting the more attractive and affordable option for companies with tight budgets or infrequent equipment usage requirements.
- New technologies: Rental equipment tends to integrate the latest technologies, allowing you to test multiple new equipment options and evaluate their potential benefits without the commitment of full ownership.
- Equipment access ≤ 65% of the time: Renting is generally recommended for companies that will not use the blasting equipment more than 65% of the time.
Whether you’re looking to rent sandblasting machines, shot blasting machines, or something else, a qualified blasting equipment distributor can provide you with access to a wide selection of up-to-date, well-maintained rental equipment options at affordable prices. By choosing to rent, you benefit in many ways. For example:
- You have lower upfront costs.
- You have access to more machines if and when you need them.
- You can select the equipment that best suits your surface preparation needs rather than settling for what you can afford.
- You can try out equipment before deciding to purchase a new/used unit.
- You do not have to deal with the stress of costly and time-consuming equipment maintenance and repairs.
Partner With Dawson-Macdonald for Your Blasting Equipment Needs Today
Blast machines and other surface preparation equipment are essential for resurfacing, repairing, protecting, and cleaning surfaces in a wide range of industrial and commercial sectors. When buying or renting such equipment, it is important to work with a qualified distributor who can make informed equipment recommendations based on your specific project needs and budget.
Our blasting equipment products include:
- Air blast equipment
- Ice blasting equipment
- Shot blast equipment
- Wet blast equipment
- Wheel blast equipment
- Vacuum systems
Used Blasting Equipment
Our current selection of used blasting equipment includes:
- Empire Pro-Finish 2636SRC-4 Blast Cabinet System
- Empire Pro-Finish FaStrip FS3648PR-6 Blast Cabinet
- Cold Jet Aero 40 Dry Ice Blaster
- Blast Pro BP10 SUPER Portable Shot Blaster
- Blast Pro BP9 Portable Shot Blaster
- Vaniman Pro Blast 2-Tank Micro Blaster
- Wet Technologies WTSS-36 Slurry Blast Cabinet
- Coulson IceStorm 90 Wet Ice Blaster
Rental Blasting Equipment
Our rental blasting equipment offerings include:
- BlastPro BP-9 Portable Shotblaster
- BlastPro BP-10 SUPER Portable Shotblaster
- Axxiom/Schmidt 3.5 or 6.5 cubic foot Blaster
- Greener Blast Mini 3.5 cubic foot Slurry Blaster
- Axxiom/Schmidt M-21 Multi Media Blaster
- Cold Jet AERO Dry Ice Blaster
- Coulson IceStorm90 Wet Ice Blaster
The Surface Preparation Experts
As the oldest and largest surface preparation equipment distributor in the northeast, Dawson-MacDonald has the experience and product selection to meet the needs of practically any industry. We offer a broad selection of new, used, and rental equipment options, allowing customers to find a personalized solution that satisfies their surface preparation requirements while accommodating their budget.
In addition to new, used, and rental equipment, we also provide equipment maintenance, repair, warranty support, installation, and training services to customers in New England, eastern New York, northern New Jersey, and the New York City metropolitan area.